If you haven't purchased life insurance outside of the workplace or reviewed your life insurance needs in a while, add it to your New Year's Resolution list right now.
Life insurance often seems like a costly investment for those who are young. Yet, it may be more affordable than you realize.
In fact, it is significantly less expensive to buy insurance now, while you are young and healthy. You can save now rather than waiting until you are older to secure your first policy. The good news is most people can also take steps at any age to reduce costs.
Choose the Best Policy for You
A good place to start is by choosing the life insurance plan that is best suited for your needs. The details of that policy impact cost. Here are some considerations:
- How much coverage do you need? If you do not have dependents or high debt, you may not need the largest policy.
- Do you need a policy that extends for your entire life or just for a period of time? Term life insurance doesn't last forever and is usually more affordable. It may be best for those who have debt or dependents they want to protect now.
- Do you want your policy to earn interest and be one that you can borrow from during your lifetime? If not, this may reduce your costs as well.
When you select a policy, focus on these specific areas as a first step. You’ll find most insurers offer a wide range of options to meet each one of your unique needs.
Save Money by Staying Healthy
Perhaps the best way to save money on your premium is to remain as healthy as possible. Insurers base the cost of your premium in part on your health and your lifestyle. Some ways to do this include:
- Maintain a healthy weight. Those who are overweight or significantly underweight are at a higher risk of illness. ✔
- Avoid smoking. If you smoke, you are likely to be at a higher risk of health complications. ✔
- Don’t use recreational drugs or abuse drugs. ✔
Also, consider asking your insurer if you can reduce costs by remaining healthy. Some companies help reduce costs if you can show you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Insurance agents can help you to find a policy that fits your needs properly. Invest time in considering each one of your options and take the time to maintain the best possible help to save money.
Have a Happy New Year!